Homeowners and employees may inhale to dangerous levels of silica dust when cutting, drilling, grinding, or otherwise disturbing materials that contain silica. These materials and tasks are common on construction jobs. Breathing that dust can lead to serious, often fatal illnesses. Know to understand the risk factors with silica.
There are ways contractors can reduce the dust and reduce the hazard. Selecting appropriate controls, and creating a job-specific plan to eliminate or reduce silica hazards is essential for any tile removal or wood floor removal.
Bleach For Mold Remediation - Good Or Bad Decision? – Entrust is to an Expert
How To Get Rid Of Black Mold
Black mold is a nasty form of mold that can cause serious health problems. It can cause you to experience symptoms related to upper respiratory tract issues such as coughing and wheezing. It can even cause you to develop a condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis if you are susceptible to this condition. In fact, there is evidence that links indoor mold exposure to respiratory illness in children that are otherwise healthy. Also, people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) are at risk for developing fungal infections in their lungs.
Getting Rid Of A Nuisance Problem
If you catch the black mold early and before it becomes widespread, it's relatively easy to eliminate. If the mold is on a hard surface you can get rid of it with a thorough cleaning using a commercial product or by using a solution made with a cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water.
Unfortunately, if the black mold is on some porous material such as ceiling tiles, drywall or carpet you should actually throw the material away. Since you can actually have an allergic reaction to even dead mold, you need to make sure you properly clean and dry the area. If you don't clean and dry it completely and there is still moisture present, the black mold could come back.
Cleaning The Black Mold Yourself
If you choose to clean up the black mold yourself using bleach, here are some things you need to know.
1. Never mix the bleach with other household cleaners or ammonia. This can produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
2. Be sure to open doors and windows so that you have a good supply of fresh air.
3. Wear protective eyewear and non-porous gloves.
4. If the area you need to clean is more than 10 square feet, you should consult the Environmental Protection Agency's Guide to Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. This guide may be focused on commercial buildings and schools but applies to other building types as well, including your home.
If you are using bleach or some other commercial cleaning product, be sure to follow all the manufacturer's instructions for its use.
How To Do The Cleanup
Begin by lightly misting the area to be cleaned with water. Next, scrub the mold with warm soapy water or the bleach mixture described above. When you have cleaned off all the black mold, you will need to spray the area with a disinfectant in order to kill any remaining spores that may not be visible.
Here are some of the best disinfectants you can use.
· Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
· Hypochlorites (such as Clorox Bleach)
· Hydrogen Peroxide
When you have finished the cleaning and disinfecting, seal the room and allow it to dry completely.
Wear Protective Gear
Since black mold can be hazardous to your health, you should wear protective gear while doing that cleanup. For openers, wear a respirator. Second, wear goggles. This will prevent black mold spores from getting into and infecting the delicate structure of your eyes. Third, wear rubber gloves. Finally, be sure to wear clothing that covers your entire body and that can be easily cleaned after you finish removing the mold.
If The Mold Is Extensive
If you have an extensive amount of black mold in your house or basement, it would be best to call a professional mold removal company. However, if you only have small patchy areas, you can remove it as described above and be rid of this nasty stuff!
How to Get Rid of Mold - Common Causes and Cleaning Techniques
Mold & Moisture
The crawl space is the number one source for potential moisture entering your home. The moisture may be equal to gallons of water but in vapor form and not even visible. A seal tight liner kit will instantly stop the moisture in the crawl space from entering home as well as eliminating radon gas, musty odors, mildew and mold.
"The U.S. EPA states: "Molds are usually not a problem unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds produce allergens, irritants and potentially toxic substances. The key to mold control is moisture control. The mold will not grow if moisture is not present (source: EPA " A Brief Guide to Mold, Mildew and Your Home," publication #402-K-02-003)."
Eliminate the Existing Mold
To eliminate and prevent future mold growth, spray the affected areas with a mold killing and growth preventing spray, there are good products for purchase at your local building supply house.
My Take on the Problems with Bleach
The Myth Of Using Bleach To Kill Mold! Mold has a root system that actually grows into the surfaces of wood, drywall, concrete, etc..., like tree roots grow into the soil. The roots are not killed by bleach alone because the bleach does not penetrate the surface of porous materials. The bleach chemical portion sits on the surface until gassing off, killing only the mold on the surface leaving the roots intact, while the water portion of the bleach soaks into the material giving the mold roots a food source to start growing again. Think of it this way, if you were to cut a tree, plant, grass, or anything that has roots down and you water the area, you will see what you cut start to grow again. This is because the roots were not killed. The other problem with using bleach for an extended period is that if sprayed on wood and other building materials it actually starts to break down the products.
STOPPING MOLD AT THE ROOTS IS THE ONLY WAY!!!
Chlorine Bleach is NOT a registered EPA Mold Killing product!
If you think that we're just knocking bleach. Don't take our word for it! Go to http://epa.gov/mold/moldcourse/index.html and read what the EPA has to say about using bleach to kill mold. The EPA says that "The use of bleach is not recommended as a routine practice during mold clean-up" http://iaq.custhelp.com question #7.
Now you might ask: How do I kill mold if not with bleach?
Answer: Use an EPA approved and registered fungicide to kill the mold at its roots.
For More Information on Saltillo Floor Removal
Allergies, Toxins, Dustless Concrete Removal, Dust Control, Granite Removal, Silicosis Cancer, Silicosis, Chronic Silicosis, Tile Removal, Wood Floor Removal, Travertine Floor Removal, Clean Air Floor Removal, Ceramic Tile Removal, Dust Free Concrete Removal, , Dustless Tile Removal, Asthma, Dust Free Tile Removal, Dustless Wood Floor Removal, Marble Floor Removal, Dust Free Wood Floor Removal, Concrete Removal, Saltillo Floor Removal